Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Cambridge, Ma, 9/2/14": Tour Blog-- Book Launch, Porter Square Books,

9/2/2014
Porter Square Books
25 White Street
Cambridge, Ma

The bookstore was packed with people from all aspects of my life. There were friends, writers, co-workers, people that help me in my recovery and also my parents. They had to slide a shelf of books to add a few more rows of seats, which reminded me of The Bat Cave. (see video, which raises questions of why no one randomly noticed the statue with a hinge on it and do the poles really need the names DICK and BRUCE on them, as if it matters which poles they go down.)

                             
Grateful to those who came out
Back to the reading: A lot of books were sold and overall it's what a launch should be.I even made food, eggplant parmigiana and a very sloppy lasagna.

Pre-cooking, pre-sloppy
There was even some props from the book, some bags of turkey sandwiches, juice boxes and pulpy apples (Bill Sloan's daily lunch) and some cheese cubes.

IN THE CORNER near the cheese cubes...

Helping me celebrate were Robin Stratton (publisher and writer) and Christopher Reilley (cover designer and poet) who did a wonderful job reading from their works. My reading went well, but half-way through I noticed that the sections I read from were a bit dark/less funny. I also messed up by not having Chris, Robin and Rene Schweisow, who with Rusty Barnes and Teisha Twomey did some selfless work to improve the novel.


The evening ended with a quick Q and A where I answered a lot of serious questions about Psychology and football. You know you are making waves in the writing world when another writer's book (Steve Almond, Against Football: One Fan's Reluctant Manisfesto) is asked about during your Q and A.

Then there's that really cool and semi-awkward moment when your artist/writer mom asks a question.



Once again, the evening was a smash and I am extremely grateful. I really would like to thank each and everyone in attendance, so I hope you're all reading this. Next stop in a month in sunny San Diego, where the reality check will be in, as out of town readings generally can be attended sparsely--still, I'm thrilled at the prospect of traveling.

Some of the large crowd, 9/2/14
Randy and Daniel.

Mike (who people thought was on the book's cover)  and Holly

No comments: