Saturday, March 1, 2014

Nearsighted. Citron Review. The short sighted song shouting tournament

First, here's the poem

The story behind the story. This one came from a poem I had in the trash pile from 2008 which I completely reworked from what I've recently learned about writing poetry. In hindsight, "Myopia" would have been a better title.


The facts about it: Using mnemonic devices to remember the difference between nearsightedness and farsightedness,  take the "near" and "sight" out of nearsighted to indicate you can see better at closer ranges. Eyes, vision, what you see, what you can no longer. Sometimes what you see doesn't include what you don't see. That's the story behind this one.





Far away? Vision?

my vision weakened suddenly
as dust kicking up like thick smoke


My thanks to the editors at The Citron Review for publishing me.

Lastly, watch "the short sighted song shouting tournament"



Also in this issue


TABLE OF CONTENTS
Jennifer FalknerDesert SandsFlash
Helen WickesThe Vagrant Spirit as the Good Humor ManPoetry
P.J. Sambeaux Cheap           CNF
Helen Wickes HarrowPoetry
Devin Galaudet  I Borrowed a KnifeCNF
George Dila  In Which I Defend my Decision to Run Away and Join the CircusFiction
D. Gilson Layover CNF
Tyler Koshakow Matches CNF
Timothy GagerNearsightedness Poetry
Michael Chaney Night VisitorFiction
Tara DealSide Trips in the Interior  CNF
Tina Tocco Sink     Fiction 
Helen Wickes Still-Life on the Road to Los Ojos Poetry
 John Carroll Suicides Fiction
 Peter Witte Intersections Gallery Photography
 Helen Wickes The Vagrant Spirit as the Good Humor Man Poetry

No comments: